From 1860 to 1870, the Catholic boys of Atchison were taught by the Benedictine monks of St. Benedict’s Abbey. In 1863, the Sisters of Mt. St. Scholastica arrived, and began a school for the Catholic girls of Atchison.
The ever increasing population of Catholic school children necessitated the building of a centrally located school for all. That school was St. Louis College, built in about 1889